Sunday 7 November 2010

Pop-up blog

I will be writing this blog for the next seven weeks to track my experience of giving up shampoo and conditioner. This is surely of no interest to the outside world, but I am undertaking the project to help me get through the horrific process of quitting shampoo and looking, for seven weeks, like someone has poured a vat of baby oil mixed with wet-look gel over my head.

Until now I have washed my hair every other day. On the first day it looks alright- it's quite shiny and bouncy. It's fine. On the second day it is a lank mess. In my life I have often had people ask me "oh is it raining outside?" when it isn't.

Anyway, this idea came about when I read an article that was in the Daily Mail about people giving up washing their hair (p.s. the Daily Mail website is actually really good- I guarantee you will not be able to leave if you go on it). In the article the journalist quit washing her hair and after a few weeks her hair was looking beautiful and full of body, as they say. This woman had gone her whole life thinking she had straight hair, when in fact it was wavy. The drying effects of the shampoo had made her hair straight. I found this quite amazing and so I decided I had to try it.

I do also have some vague objection to the fact that we all really consider shampoo a vital part of life when in fact it's just... well actually what IS it? I suspect it's just fairy liquid mixed with perfume.

My parents are truly horrified by the concept of the shampoo ban (Mummy: "You will stink") and so I have struck a deal with them: if by Christmas day the barnet has not become wavy and bounteous and full of body, then I will wash it.

I'm going to post a photo every day to document the progress of the grease mongering. Here's the first one. (The hair is in a slightly man-with-long-hair phase, once it's lank and greasy I'm sure this will improve.)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment